Friday, December 7, 2007

Jill Kintner Goes to Camp...Olympic Training Camp

Jill Kintner Goes to Camp...Olympic Training Camp
12/5/2007

Southern California
reposted from
http://www.gtbicycles.com/

Hi everyone,

Most of you know that I moved south last week to live at the Olympic training center until Beijing, so I thought I would write a little update to share. Firstly, the process for making the US team is about half over. As it stands I am leading the points for US girls, but it is far from over...

This Olympic effort will be 100% of my energy for the next year. Mountain biking will have to take a back seat for the next 9 months. I believe that I need to be in a place where the riding is good and where I can focus on training. The Olympic training center is the best place I could ever hope to land, and Southern California is close to all my major sponsors and some good friends/riding buddies. Add Bryn and some family and there would be nothing more to wish for.

Dorm housing, food, trainers, medical, massage, replica track, nutrition, psych--it's all available, so our job of training is easy. I really, really appreciate my time here, and I am so glad to have this resource. I've been meeting people I would have never ever been exposed to in regular life. Super humans...

There is this blind track sprinter who has a guide runner leading him out. Both of them have a tether-like string tied to their fingers, and they have to swing their arms in sync or they get disqualified.

There is another Paralympic runner, with one leg who could jump on top of this box with one leg that was at my mid-chest. That is impressive with two legs, one is extraordinary. He has 2 gold medals already and has lived here for years!!

This OTC hosts track and field athletes, rowers, kayakers, archers, shooters, field hockey players, softball, BMX, triathletes, a speed walker, and maybe a couple others. Pretty small, like 50 residents, and a few camps that come and go. I've only been here about a week, so I'm sure there is lots more than what I've seen.

The replica track is not finished, so I've been driving sooo much to scope the scene and ride. Chula Vista is about 9 miles from the Mexico border. I put on over 2800 miles this week if you include the drive from Seattle which was 1350 miles. Thanks to everyone for your support. I'm on a mission! It's 84 degrees in December here. Nutz.

Jill

No comments: