Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Verge New England Series UCI Cross Finals Race Report

Verge New England Series UCI Cross Finals Race Report
12/09/2007 - Warwick, RI
reposted ftom www.gtbicycles.com

This weekend took me to Warwick, Rhode Island for the final rounds of the Verge New England Series of Cyclocross. New England has some of the deepest cross roots in the country, so it’s always great to get back there for the races. It was another muddy weekend of racing, though not nearly as bad as in Portland.

After flight delays, I arrived at my host house for the weekend about 1am on Saturday morning. Not too bad considering it was snowing in Durango, Denver, and Boston, all three of my stops. Saturday morning was a bit rushed--building bikes, getting food, and finding the course were my major objectives before the race.

I like to race the weekend leading up to Nationals to test my form and keep myself in race mode. I usually only race one day of the weekend, but since Nationals are Sunday instead of Saturday this year I decided to do the double day.

The course on Saturday had some long pavement sections, a short section on the beach, and plenty of mud since it snowed the day before and was forty degrees on race day.

A group of four formed on the first lap with me, Jesse Anthony, Chris Jones, and my brother, Troy. After a few laps Jesse and I separated ourselves. I attacked him a bunch of times, but each time he clawed his way back. It came down to a sprint with me beating him out by a tire width for the win. I’m not known as the best sprinter, so it was great for me to win a sprint against a great road racer.

Sunday a few more heavy hitters showed up and the temperatures dropped. The course was at the same venue--right on the ocean--but was more technical with longer sand sections on the beach, more tight turns, and more barriers.

Jeremy Powers got the hole shot, and it took me two laps to reel him in. We rode together until two laps to go when I crashed around a corner after attacking and had to catch him again. I caught him with one lap to go, but my derailleur and hanger were bent in the middle at a 90 degree angle. I couldn’t sprint on it so I figured I might as well go into the pit, get another bike, and try to catch back up to him for the sprint. I got a fresh bike and caught him with about 500 meters to go. We sprinted it out, but he got the better of me. I had to settle for second by about the same margin I had beaten Jesse by the day before.

It was a great weekend of racing, aside from the travel headaches that winter weather seems to always provide. Next weekend is Nationals and the pinnacle of my cross season after which I will be going on vacation!

Thanks for your support,


Todd Wells

No comments: